St Andrews Farm

Home | Belhuish Farm | Burngate Farm | Hambury Farm | Lulworth Farm | Newlands Farm | St Andrews Farm | West Down Farm


St Andrew’s Farmhouse was built in the seventeenth century on site of an earlier Manor House (possibly dating to 1288 or 1303).

St Andrew's Farm West Lulworth 1888
Ordnance Survey Map revised 1888

St. Andrew’s Farm was transferred to West Lulworth parish from East Stoke parish on 24 March 1888, by Local Government Board Order.

St Andrew's Farmhouse and barn
St Andrews Farm 1880

The farmhouse is built to a rectangular plan and is of two storeys with stone walls and a tiled roof. The central porch dates to the mid eighteenth century and there have been later alterations. A few seventeenth century stone mullioned windows remain.

Samuel Tucker farmed St. Andrew’s from 1861 or before until 1881 or after.

St Andrew’s Farmhouse is now used as offices by the AFV Gunnery School at Lulworth Camp.

Ground floor plan of St. Andrew’s Farmhouse
Ground floor plan of St. Andrew’s Farmhouse
now used by Lulworth Army Camp as office, workshops & store
YearEvent
1819 Feb 10On Wednesday the 10th inst. A very alarming fire broke out about 12 o’clock at noon, at Lulworth St. Andrews Farm, the residence of Mr. T. Parmiter, belonging to Thomas Weld, Esq. of Lulworth Castle. The fire originated in a furnace flue, and communicated with some chimneys which contained timber.  The fire at first raged with fury, but by the timely arrival of the inhabitants from West Lulworth, assisted by the men belonging to the preventive boat, the fire was happily soon got under without much damage. The tiling of the house was stripped, and the ceilings and timber injured. Mr. P. generously threw open his cellars, and a great number of persons were regaled with good bread and cheese and a plenty of strong ale.1

373/7/10000 Barn to the east of St Andrew’s Farmhouse
 

GV II
Barn, currently in use as a store. Circa mid C17; partly rebuilt in the C18 and extended in the C19. Stone rubble with ashlar jambs to porch; rebuilt west end English bond red brick, some vitrefied. Gable-ended roof re-clad in metal sheets.
PLAN: Eight and half bays; central threshing bay has 2-bay porch on south side. Later outhuts on south side and on east end and addition on west end.
EXTERIOR: The south front has large gabled porch to cart entrance with ashlar jambs with plinth moulding and later brick outshuts to left and right; said to have buttresses on original front wall of barn, now within outshuts. At rear [north] a cart entrance at centre, now a window and to right [west] rebuilt brick wall in English bond.
INTERIOR: Three trusses at west end replaced with late C19 king-post trusses. Six C17 raised jointed cruck trusses with cambered collars with curved braces, diagonally-set trenched ridgepiece, three tiers of trenched purlins; the common-rafters and some of the purlins missing. The scarf joints on cruck blades and the curved braces to the collars have interesting ‘false tenons’ in the form of separate tenons, serving as pegs through the braces into the principals, pegged from the side and projecting from the face of the braces. The 2-bay porch has tie-beam trusses with cambered collars. C20 suspended ceiling conceals the roof.
A largely intact C17 barn with interesting carpentry jointing detail in the roof structure.

Source: English Heritage


Page last updated: 13 October 2021

  1. Salisbury and Winchester Journal 22 February 1819 []

Comments are closed.