- In 1858 land was given by John & Elizabeth Fowler of Winterborne Kingston to the Rector and Churchwardens of the parish to build a National School for “children of the labouring, manufacturing and other poor classes in this area”.
- The National School was built in 1860 and run by a resident headteacher and an assistant.
- Miss Fanny Matthews was Mistress in 1867.
- Miss Jane Fooks was Mistress in 1875.
- Miss Emma Eckett (1856-1938) was in charge for 43 years from 1878 to 1921, when children between the ages of 5 and 13 years attended the school for instruction on a voluntary basis. For over 10 years, her older sister Miss Susan Eckett was Assistant Mistress. Emma had a twin sister Emily.
- In 1923 Miss Amy Barton was Mistress.
- In 1939 Miss Maude Agnes Louisa French (1885-1947) was Mistress.
- Australian-born George Dunstan ‘Pop’ Hollowood (1919-1999) was Headteacher for 27 years from 1952 until 1979. During his tenure the school buildings were extended and brought up to Ministry of Education standards and three mobile classrooms were added. The children from the Army Camp now attended the local village school.
- In the 1960s the number of pupils on the roll was over 130 and daily hot meals were provided for all. The Nativity Play was a great feature of Lulworth School. School trips were organised and there was competition with other schools in the form of the Wool and District sports events.
- Numbers of pupils declined with the introduction of the three-tier system in Purbeck in the late 1970s, since all pupils now left the village at nine years of age to go to Bovington Middle School. Purbeck has now returned to using a two-tier system.
- Recent years saw the provision of more space, more equipment and more staff.
- Mrs Estelle Smith was Headteacher for 7 years from 2000 to 2007.
- In 2005 West Lulworth First School and Winfrith First School became officially federated, with one Governing Body and one Headteacher.
- West Lulworth First School and Winfrith First School officially closed on 31 August 2007 and the merged Lulworth and Winfrith CofE VC Primary School officially opened on 1 September 2007 operating from two sites.
- Mrs Sharon Buckland was Headteacher for 10 years from 2007 to 2017.
- New premises at West Lulworth were in use from February 2016.
- Mr Richard Skinner became Headteacher on 1 September 2017.
- From 1899 to 1903 Miss Mary Edith Cullen was Mistress.
- In December 1905 Miss Josephine Mary Bohs (1881-1971) was the Mistress. Josephine was the daughter of Theresa Bohs nee Edwards who was born at East Lulworth.
St. Margaret’s Private School
- In 1931, Miss Loder was Principal.
Page last updated: 10 May 2021