Main menu | Directories: Index | 1855 | 1865 | 1875 | 1880 | 1889 | 1923 | 1931
1880 Kelly’s Directory
WEST LULWORTH is a parish and village situate on the shore of the English Channel, on the margin of Lulworth cove, and surrounded on the land side by hills which shelter it from the north and east winds, in the Southern division of the county, liberty of Bindon, locally within the hundred of Winfrith, petty sessional division of Wareham, union of wareham and Purbeck, county court district of Wareham, Dorchester rural deanery third portion, Dorset archdeaconry and Salisbury diocese, 9 miles south-west from Wareham and about 6 south from Wool station on the South Western railway : it is provided with pure water from the chalk. The church of the Holy Trinity was rebuilt in 1870 from the design of the late J. Hicks esq., : it is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel and nave, north aisle and transept : the base of the tower forms a porch and principal entrance : it stands near the west end of the church on the south side : only two bells remain : the other two are said to have been sold to the parish of East Lulworth many years ago. The register dates from the sixteenth century. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value about £150, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury, and held since 1880 by the Rev. Gerard Williams MA of Merton College, Oxford. Here is a Congregational Chapel, built in 1835, Rev. Robert Brown, minister. LULWORTH COVE, in this parish, is a great natural curiosity : it communicates with the sea through a deep channel, and is surrounded by steep and lofty cliffs. The “Arched Rock” about one mile from the cove, has an opening of nearly 40 feet, through which a view of the sea is obtained. Here is a coast-guard station, with a chief officer and eight men. The land is chiefly the property of Reginald Joseph Weld esq. of Lulworth Castle, East Lulworth, who is lord of the manor. The soil varies : subsoil, chiefly Bagshot sand : and the chief crops are wheat, oats and barley, and pasture land. For area see East Lulworth : rateable value, £1,645. The population in 1881 was 339.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Roe
POST OFFICE. – George Richards, receiver. Letters arrive from Wareham at 9 a.m.; Dispatched at 4.45 p.m.; Sundays, arrive at 9 a.m.; Dispatched at 10 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Wareham. The nearest telegraph office is at Wool.
Coastguard Station, William Yeo, chief officer
National School, Miss Emma Eckett, mistress
Ebbs Rev. Walter [Congregationalist]
FitzGerald Rev. Hy. Jas. Bindon villa
Hartley Alfred, Spring cottage
Hopkins Joseph, Bindon cottage
Lane James M.D.
Randall Edward James, Cove villa
Randall William
Williams Rev. Gerard M.A. Vicarage
COMMERCIAL
Charles Henry Martin, general shopkpr
Clark Robert, tailor
Cox Frederick, blacksmith
Dorey Annie Winzar (Mrs.), boot & shoe dealer
Dorey Mary (Mrs), shopkeeper, provision merchant &c
Dorey William, farmer & wheelwright
Ellis George, farmer
Gillingham Edward William, farmer, Hambro’ farm
Hookey John, blacksmith
Randall Matthew, farmer
Richards George, Cove hotel & posting house, & post office
Roe Thomas, Castle
Snelling Henry, baker
Tewkesbury Francis, shopkeeper
Tucker Samuel, farmer, St. Andrews
Yeo William, chief officer coast guard station, Cove
Page last updated: 14 October 2022
