1865 Harrod’s Directory
LULWORTH (WEST) is a parish in the liberty of Bindon, locally within the hundred of Winfrith, distant 7½ miles S.W. from Wareham. The church is a small edifice with nave, chancel, and a low square tower. Lulworth Cove, in this parish, is a great natural curiosity; it communicates with the sea through a deep channel, and is surrounded with steep and lofty cliffs. The “Arched Rock,” about one mile from the cove has an opening of about twenty feet, through which a view of the sea is obtained. Here is a coast-guard station, with an officer and ten men. The parish comprises 3,240 acres. The population in 1861 was 446.
POSTAL REGULATIONS. – George Richards, receiver. Letters arrive from Wareham at 10 a.m.; Dispatched at 3 p.m. Post town, Wareham.
Barnes Mr. William
Crispin The Misses
Gilder Rev. Wm., M.A.
Randall Mr. Edward
Barnes William Collins, miller
Beaton Misses Rebecca and Ann, farmers, Barngate
Charles Henry Martin, shopkeeper
Clark Robert, tailor
Dorey Mary, shopkeeper and coal dealer
Dorey William, farmer and wheelwright
Randall Thomas, farmer
Randall Brothers, farmers
Richards Geo., Cove hotel and postmaster
Ricketts William, blacksmith
Roe Thomas, Castle inn
Snelling Henry, baker
Tucker Samuel, farmer, St. Andrews
Winzar Mrs. Harriett, fishmonger