Main menu | Directories: Index | 1855 | 1865 | 1875 | 1880 | 1889 | 1923 | 1931
1855 Post Office Directory
WEST LULWORTH, a parish in the liberty of Bindon, locally within the Hundred of Winfrith, 7½ miles south-west from Wareham, on the shore of the English Channel. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Winfrith Newburgh. The church is a small structure, with nave, chancel, and low square tower. Lulworth Cove, in this parish, is a great natural curiosity; it communicates with the sea through a deep channel, and is surrounded with steep and lofty cliffs. The “Arched Rock,” about 1 mile from the cove, has an opening of about 20 feet, through which a view of the sea is obtained. Here is a coast-guard station, with a lieutenant and 10 men. The parish comprises about 3,240 acres, chiefly the property of Joseph Weld, Esq. The population of the parish, in 1851, was 401.
GENTRY
Barnes Mr. William
Chapman Thomas Andrew, esq
Crispin the Misses
Phillips Rev. Henry, B.A.
Rains Captain James, R.N.
TRADERS
Barnes Samuel Smith, farmer
Barnes William, miller
Beaton Rebecca and Ann (Misses), farmers, Burngate
Charles Henry Martin, shopkeeper
Clark Robert, tailor
Dorey James, wheelwright
Dorey Thomas, blacksmith
Dorey William, farmer
Randall Edward, farmer
Parmiter Mary (Mrs.), farmer, St. Andrews
Randall William, farmer
Richards Henry, Cove inn, & grocer
Roe Thomas, ‘Jolley Sailor’
Runyard John, shopkeeper
Snelling Henry, baker
Winzar Mrs. Harriett, fishmonger
POST OFFICE. – Henry Richards, receiver. Letters arrive from Wareham at ½ past 10 a.m.; dispatched at 3 p.m.
Page last updated: 4 October 2022
