Britwell Drive is the private lane that leads southwards from the Lulworth Cove Inn roundabout on Main Road and then winds westwards past the Coastguard Station.
Properties on Britwell Drive include: / have included:
Anchor House last changed ownership in December 2016.
Bincleaves – see Lovat House
Britwell – see Stair Cottage
Fiddlers Green – see Oswald (2)
Hambury Bottom – demolished
Past residents of Hambury Bottom have included:
- Cyril E Rhodes, Managing Director of Shipping Company
Lovat House – formerly Oswald (1) and Bincleaves
Oswald (1) – see Lovat House
Past residents of Oswald have included:
- Colonel Henry Denne Robson (1931) & Florence Rosemary Robson (1931)
- Miss Alice Hilda Guppy (1931)
Oswald (2) – formerly Fiddlers Green
Rafters, Hambury Bottom
The former property, Hambury Bottom (pictured earlier), was purchased in August 2014 and after multiple planning applications and iterated designs, the vision of the Rafters was complete. The existing house was demolished and rebuilt, saving it from inevitable future rot and collapse. The design chosen for the new property celebrated elements of the original property by the placement and size of the large bay windows and the thatched roof.
Stair House (formerly Britwell)
Past residents of Stair House / Britwell have included:
- Captain Frederick E E G Schreiber (R.N.) of H.M.S. President
Weston is Grade II Listed built in 1927 and the only Sir Edwin Lutyens designed house in Dorset. The ornamental lead rainwater heads and drainwork include a cistern marked “Guys Hospital 1775”.
It was designed for Sir Alfred Fripp and paid for with a legacy from Sir George Holford and was named after his home in Gloucestershire, ‘Westonbirt House’.
Weston’s most memorable guest would be Sir Lawrence Olivier and Vivienne Leigh, who spent the first night of their honeymoon here.
The house was in the Fripp family until 1962 when it was bought by David Dickson for his mother, Lady Grey-Egerton who lived here until January 1988. It was later part owned by David’s daughter, Sarah, until 1995.
Past residents have included:
- Sir Alfred Fripp
- Kathleen J Fripp
- Lady Grey-Egerton
Page last updated: 30 April 2021